Monday, February 25, 2013

2012 Highlights

https://www.facebook.com/events/280102145426150/

In 2012 I learned to…get the most possible out of an iPad instead of a laptop.

I grew most in… "rolling with it" and not sweating the small stuff.  And even some big stuff that went down this year. Actually, The only sweating I did this year was in my daily walks with Jack.

Another way I saw myself growing was... I've spent more time just sitting and hanging out with God, listening for what he may have to say, meditating on Scripture, and appreciating the good things he has made in this world, and leaving the angst over the messes of the world (and the church) in his hands.

One of my best adventures was…at the end of his 4 weeks of summer school in Mississippi, Cameron had his first solo flight to meet me in South Carolina and take a road trip to meet his cousins in the Blue Ridge Mountains. On his layover the flight was stuck at an airport waiting hours for a technical failure to be resolved.  He was without phone or food.  I ended up making friends and having a drink with what seemed like the cast of "Justified" who were also waiting on relatives who were on this flight. We all decided to drive to get them. So we made ourselves a hillbilly caravan and drove 2 hours, Greenville to Charlotte, to pick up our respective "kinfolk."

I saw/knew God was doing something when…Cameron got straight A's his first Quarter at CHA.  When we helped individuals in an organization emotionally and psychologically navigate their downsizing/layoffs.  Angel Corrigan  asked if I'd like to lead a Bible Study for AWA, and it morphed into something different and exciting.

A real gift from God was…  Daniel Ang's generosity in retrieving the contents of two crashed computers and getting me up and running on them again. Dave Zovak too.  So many opportunities to travel.  An incredible year like no other! Perth. Kauai. California. Atlanta. Mississippi. South Carolina. Greece. Hong Kong.  Vietnam.

Something I really enjoyed doing more of was…doodling. Drawing. Sketching and "prophetic art" (which to me is more like engaging in art as a joint effort with the Holy Spirit with the purpose of listening to him, and blessing others)

One of the happiest memories of 2012 I’d like to freeze in my mind…the boys gardening and washing the car together with a cousin of Cameron's from his birth family. Seeing their maturity. The opening night of a conference, warming up the crowd emceeing with Jim.

I was really brave when…I announced that I was going to have a 50th birthday concert and invite my friends to perform with me. When I pulled broken glass out of my right hand.

A Scripture passage that meant a lot to me was… Jeremiah 33:3 "Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things." It was part of our reading in the summer of reading Can You Hear Me? Tuning in to the God Who Speaks. Two months later, visiting a missionary friend in her remote home in a village in Vietnam, she had the verse on a banner on her wall.

The whole story of Nehemiah:  All those names of who did what to rebuild the wall and the temple... It means God values your role in serving him even when others around don't seem to value your loyal contribution.

Song of the year: How You Live (Turn up the Music), Point of Grace. Another divine introduction how I heard it for the first time on a prayer walk.

I’m still trying to learn what God wants to teach me through this hard experience… Why can't Yi Hui read yet?  What's happened to my memory? Losing the metadata (tags, dates, notes, slideshows etc) on my entire photo library.

The best word of advice or encouragement I can remember is…
"Let's figure out what needs to happen in order to have Kimberly soar in her 50's" - Margo Husthwaite in October.

One thing I’m looking forward to in 2013 is…Leading 2 teams who want to help me hold monthly "Spiritual Wellness" mini-retreats. One for women, and one for artists.

No comments: