Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The Unbuilt Bridge Between “Focusing Leaders” and Focused Artists

Yesterday morning:

I sit in The Arts Café, located in the beautiful Fine Arts library of Singapore. I sit with the many versions of Refocusing Leaders workbooks spread out on the table in front of me. I’ve half an hour before a young leader Dawn arrives to pray with me. This vibrant 22 year old, mime artist/magazine editor/web-designer/teacher prays with me every Monday for the arts community in Singapore. She and I moderate an egroup for Christians in the Arts. We pray by name for the many Christians we know who are arts practitioners here. Today we’re meeting at The Arts Café, because the new managers here are believers. They’d like to open the café as a venue for our egroup to meet.

So, what am I to do with these CRM notebooks and the ideas inside them I’m not the typical Focusing Leaders mentor. My husband is. Christian leaders gravitate toward him. God has blessed him with humility and a spiritual gift of Leadership. Focusing Leaders materials are effective tools for his servant influence in the lives of the Pastors, Business and Mission leaders here in Singapore. As his wife, I’ve been in a network, and have been a table coach for different FL retreats. I’ve taken the Facilitator Training. I’ve been empowered through the process to really embrace my calling, and to prioritize my life and work of “influencing more true artistry in believers, and seeing more artists become true believers.” Focusing Leaders has been very helpful to me personally. The convictions I’ve gained and the structure I’ve learned from Focusing Leaders helps keep my right brain on the right track (well staying on ANY track is a good thing for a right brained person!)

But how to pass it on? My circle of free spirit friends consists of those who balk at most structure and organization, would roll their eyes at monthly "Roles to Goals," and some really struggle with accountability and authority. All the references in Focusing Leaders of “Godly leader” isn’t even something they’re striving for. Even the word “leader” doesn’t fit most of them unless they are directing a play.

Though the word “Prophet” often describes the artists' role in society, and I can envision Christian artists who are clear about their Biblical Purpose and callings in Christ stepping into their role as society’s prophets with spiritual authority. However, I just don’t see the bridge for the gap between the reality of where they are, and what their potential is.

I’ve made a small step in finding a bridge. With a couple groups I’ve used the post-it note brainstorming concept to come up with ideas for "New Year’s Resolutions." We do them in categories of SPIRITUAL LIFE, FAMILY, PERSONAL, INTELLECTUAL, PROFESSIONAL etc. Though most relish the exercise, this year one of the actors refused to do it. She said they make her feel tied down and guilty when she doesn’t do them. My circle isn’t wrestling with difficult Elders, or how to manage family and demanding ministry commitments. My circle wants prayer for whether they ought to shoot a tv episode about pre-marital sex wearing only their underwear. Another needs a prayer for wisdom in speaking to her Muslim gay friend with AIDS who’s still sleeping around; or whether or not to buy marijuana for her unsaved boyfriend because “he’s nicer when he’s high.” Two of the women who see me as a mentor got married this weekend. Both are expecting in February.

Besides heaps of grace, what these friends -- who truly do love and desire to to live for Christ -- need is structure and organization, monthly roles to goals, accountability and authority. Again, I look down at the CRM notebooks on the table and see these are the key points of the Focusing Leaders curriculum, but the stuffy corporate package would never fly with them. I know that CRM is not about their curriculum, but it serves as a springboard for the relational coaching, the deep and honest communication, the genuine care we have for seeing the people we serve be everything they were meant to be in Christ. I keep praying for inspiration.

It’s not a question I’m going to solve today. And I’m not in a hurry either. I used to be. I used to be driven, amibtious, perfectionistic. Living overseas, I’ve learned to take myself a whole lot less seriously. I am a little impatient, but I know that God will direct my steps, in his time. He will bring some inspiration and motivation about helping artists be more focused. He'll open the door if I'm supposed to walk through it. For now, I’ll continue to collect other resources and workbooks on "character formation" and "calling" written specifically for artists. I’ll read. I’ll teach my theatre classes for Christians who want to be more creative. As moderator of the egroup, I’ll post pastoral encouragement to them as the Lord leads. But most of all, I’ll continue to build my circle of influence. My circle of professional artist friends which, by God’s grace, continues to grow in numbers if not in perceptible Christian maturity.

I see Dawn coming in the door now. Ah. Dawn. She’s a dynamic artist and emerging leader. She’s committed to growing in Godliness and sharing Christ and walking by faith in him with the same group of friends. For today, the FL notebooks get set aside. It’s time for both of us to pray.

No comments: